Tuesday, October 29, 2019

Onward...

Dear Parents,

What a week! I'm completely overjoyed, proud, and absolutely exhausted all at the same time.  Let's wrap up the events that unfolded throughout the week, in case you missed anything. We will also be resuming practice assignments and playing tests next week, passing out new music for our winter concert, and preparing for our next round of events.

Fall Concert Wrap-Up
Our annual fall concert was a huge success. All groups played well, I love how many of you came to support our students, and we even sold a few shirts.  What a great showcase for our entire band program.  Our next concert for all groups will be on December 18 at the Carson City Community Center. Save the date!

"Nevada Day" Assembly
I can't begin to describe the feeling I had on Thursday.  I spent the past couple weeks to prepare the Marching Band for a surprise performance to the student body, and all the nervousness that went with it.  Little did I know that this was actually going to be a big surprise for me and I was going to receive the Milken Educator Award. The students performed amazingly, and we settled into our seats to watch the rest of the assembly unfold. As the speakers presented, I kept thinking, "Wow, there is a lot of speaking about the quality of education. I like this!" Then, the prize was announced and we were all waiting and wondering who the amazing teacher would be.  There are so many great teachers at our school and as my students wishfully whispered, "It's gotta be Mr. Jacques," I kept saying, "no no no, it's gotta be one of our really great teachers." Well, when my name was announced, it was an indescribable feeling.  I was asked to prepare a speech with about 10 minutes to think about it, and speak to the audience. Then, I was surrounded by press as my band packed themselves up and went home. When everything finally settled down at 3:30 PM, I was left in this state of shock and euphoria, and I'm still trying to process the surprise. Here are several videos and photos. I still get tears when I see how the band reacted behind me. I love these kids!

Channel 2 News Broadcast
Channel 8 News Broadcast
Nevada Appeal Story
Carson Now Story
Pictures from the Milken Family Foundation website


Nevada Day Parade
Once again, the Nevada Day Parade did not disappoint.  The largest band in the history of Carson Middle School took to the streets and put on a performance that received many compliments.  Here are a couple of videos:
Nevada Appeal
NGBN Cason City TV Broadcast

















GRADE NEWS

This week, I will have a weekly citizenship and participation grade.  On Friday, we will resume Smartmusic (as a grade) and their next assignment will be due on Friday, 11/8. We will also have our first playing test of the 2nd quarter, also due on Friday, 11/8.

HONOR BAND AUDITIONS
All interested students should be practicing honor band audition music this week. In 3 weeks, students will record themselves playing through the music and I will submit their music to a panel of fellow music educators, who will rate their performances. The top students in northern Nevada will be invited into a band that rehearses together in February with a special guest conductor. I will be uploading this music into Smartmusic so their work on the music can count towards their practice time.

CHILI BINGO NIGHT
This year's annual family Chili and Bingo is on November 22. We will begin the fundraiser on Friday with presale raffle tickets on Friday and I will be sending out a special update with all the specific information.

UPCOMING EVENTS
October 31 - Jazz in the Commons: 7:15 AM in the CMS Commons
November 8 - Veterans Tribute Concert (Advanced Band, Intermediate Band, Marching Band): 9:00 AM in the CMS Cafeteria
November 9 - Sierra Band Crusade (Select Marching Band members): All Day at UNR
November 11 - Reno Veterans Day Parade (Marching Band): All Day  Click here to view the informational flyer

After Veterans Day, we will have approximately 3 weeks between events as students prepare Honor Band audition and winter concert music. Keep in touch with the calendar on the band website for our future events.

What a week it has been! I will never forget the events that have unfolded, and I couldn't have done this without YOU!

-Mr. Jacques-


No comments:

Post a Comment