Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Spring Update

Dear CMS Band Families,

As you have all heard, we just received word from Governor Sisolak and the state superintendent of education that Carson Middle School is closed through the end of the school year.  This newsletter update outlines what I know about our new schedule and grading. As always, we may need to make some adjustments as we work together to navigate these new situations and conditions.

GRADING
We are now on a "pass/fail" grading system.  Students with an overall semester grade of 60% or higher will receive a "P" at the semester, indicating a passing grade.  Students with an overall semester grade of 59% or lower will receive an "F" at the semester, indicating a failing grade. All weekly assignments completed before spring break will be re-assigned a grade of 100% if they were completed and "missing" if they were not. This week, students are responsible for completing the following by Friday at noon:

  • 2 assignments on Quizizz
  • At least 30 minutes of practicing on at least 1 play-along video.
  • Weekly survey
All these assignments are on Google Classroom. The weekly survey also asks students to report their band workload.  I will continue to make minor adjustments weekly to be sure that students do not become overwhelmed with the amount of online instruction we provide. 


WEEKLY SCHEDULE
We are also making a modification to the weekly schedule. Next week, I will maintain our Zoom video lesson schedule. Beginning on May 4, I will switch to providing pre-recorded video lessons that students can view on their own. We will also have no formal instruction on Fridays. This time will be used for teachers to lesson plan, collaborate, and finish grading. Next week, I will also provide Zoom office hours on Friday for any students who would like to visit with me, ask questions, etc. I will announce a formal outline of all this information once we are closer. As for this week, all assignments are due Friday at noon.

INSTRUMENT SUPPLY KIOSK
Once again, I will be operating my instrument supply kiosk in the parking lot adjacent to the district office.  I will be open from Thursday from 11:00 AM-12:30 PM. Please stay in your car.  *Note: I'm out of stock on alto saxophone cleaning swabs*

Please know that I miss your students dearly. I miss making music. I miss all the festivals and trips that would typically be taking place this time of year. Take this time as an opportunity to bond with your kids. If the workload is too stressful, take a break and let us know. We are here to support you, and we know that we will all emerge from this situation stronger and more resilient than ever.

Onward!

Nick Jacques

1 comment: